The Headlight

Southern California Scenic Railway Association, Inc.

The mission of the Southern California Scenic Railway Association is to provide and administer volunteers and to raise and manage funds to support the mission of the Travel Town Museum and its Master Plan

Volume 15, Number 1............................................................................Spring 2000


By Bryan Reese, M.177 Project Manager

Those who follow these pages closely will recall that last time I outlined plans for taking the restoration of M.177 in a slightly different direction. Since then, I have collected a fair amount of material from approximately 20 organizations that grant money available to museums and other organizations similar to ours. About two-thirds of those organizations have responded with information and grant guidelines, and about half of those appear to be viable prospects.

What remains now is preparation of the grant proposals. This has been held up somewhat by some internal organizational problems, but those should be resolved soon. Hopefully some of these grant leads will bear fruit and enable us to complete and install the main generator.

Illustrating the urgent need for this effort is a recent episode involving the generator. Some years ago, prior to my involvement as Project Manager, a contractor was identified to rebuild the main generator and exciter for M.177. This job has been rendered quite expensive owing to the fact that vandals of the distant past had removed most of the windings, presumably for the valuable copper. In addition to the straightforward job of overhauling the armature, most of the shunt windings and all of the field windings would have to be fabricated.

The original contractor was selected because in addition to the necessary expertise and experience, he was willing to accept in partial payment some unrestored antique vehicles that the City had slated for deaccession. This, plus an accompanying cash payment would get the job started. The contractor would not begin the fabrication of the windings because they required the substantial cost of special ordering this wire. As a result, the effort stopped.

In the intervening years, the business changed hands. We met with the new owners, who agreed to the same terms as before. Again, we waited for lack of funding.

Late last year came an ominous development. We had maintained a complimentary subscription to The Headlight for this contractor, and at one of our Board meetings, General Superintendent Jerry Price informed me that the most recent mailing had been returned with no forwarding address. He tried to telephone for a new address, but found that, too, had been discontinued. A short time later, I drove by the location and found to my dismay that it was vacant. A series of phone calls started me on the trail. Eventually I tracked down and spoke to the original owner with whom we’d made the deal so many years ago.

He told me that everything had been moved to a new location in Sun Valley, adjacent to the Burbank Airport. More detective work yielded an address, and eventually, a phone number. When I called, the very nice receptionist admitted that she had never heard of our project or the generator. Needless to say, this was all very disturbing.

On April 19, I walked in the door of Access Electric in Sun Valley, was ushered into the shop, and there sat the main generator and exciter. When the other shop went out of business, our materials had been moved to this location, because someone, fortunately, had recognized the need to protect them. I took an inventory of the materials. The man in charge told me that when he came to work there he had seen to it that the equipment came with him. Unfortunately, the accompanying documentation was lost. I told him I would replace that and he said he would work up a bid for completion of the project.

I feel this perfectly illustrates the need to redirect our efforts in fundraising as I have already described. If any further difficulties occur, I think it would be wise to return these irreplaceable materials to City property, until they can be overcome. This same situation occurred once before, that time with the Winton engine. This was again before my tenure, but I heard stories about how representatives of this organization arrived to collect the engine parts even as the bankruptcy court was preparing to auction the property of the vendor. We were lucky that we only lost the bearing shells, but replacing them added significantly to the cost of restoration.

On a more positive note, M.177 was one of the stars of an event hosted by ASRA on the weekend of March 18. The motorcar was moved out into the public area and coupled to The Little Nugget, and special tours were held, along with demonstrations of the Winton engine. Best of all, the event netted $250 in donations for M.177. Many thanks to ASRA and Greg and Nancy Gneier for planning and staging this very successful event.

If you have ideas for seeking grants, please let me know. Many employers have matching programs, and I encourage you to investigate these possibilities.


By Sue Kientz, SCSRA President

This has been a hectic and yet very productive quarter in many ways. Personally I’m just glad to be on THIS side of the Annual Dinner! Everyone had a great time, don’t get me wrong; I was just nervous because I had to sub for the legendary Steve DeVorkin as this year’s Master (Mistress?) of Ceremonies, since Steve had another commitment not to be missed: his wife was being honored that same night, at another awards dinner. We missed you, Steve!

More on the dinner in next issue, but we did sneak some pictures in this issue — mainly because we had no other pictures! Since neither Charles Forsher nor Bob Bennett gets to the park on Saturdays anymore, we are lacking in recent work-in-progress photos. Please, associates, take more pictures and leave the prints in my in-box in the Shop building. And if I can make one more request, it’s to make sure people are in the pictures, too, not just equipment.

A lot of behind the scenes work is being done to get going for the next big track project. Joe Barilari has submitted a plan of action to the City and, as I write, we are waiting for the go-ahead to proceed. So all you track workers out there, rest up now, because the work is a-comin’!

As I said, this has been a hectic quarter for your SCSRA president, working with the City and the Board of Directors, the maintenance of way crew, and many other individuals, to help make some headway in getting our track projects moving again and to smooth other difficulties. I had yet to write my report by the board meeting, and still hadn’t written it as I assembled the rest of The Headlight. I wanted this quarter’s report to be inspirational in some way, to keep us all thinking positive about the work we are trying to do, even in the face of delays and problems.

I think now that if you truly wish to be recharged about our mission, you must read the special article that Mary Jo Hurdle arranged to be reprinted in The Headlight. Under her Prairie Echoes byline is an article from the El Dorado Times written by Gail Martin in 1995, which was sent to Mary Jo by Dick Loomis. In this first installment, you will read of the problems that faced the people of El Dorado, Kansas, as they tried for many years to get passenger service to their town. And how finally, on a clear spring day 55 years ago from this year’s Annual Dinner, our M.177, The Little Ranger, made those dreams come true as it slowly pulled into town, greeted by a thrilled crowd of 500 townspeople.

That past is a look at our future. We’re going to do this, we’re going to see M.177 ride that first run to the Zoo and back! And our celebration will be every bit as spectacular as El Dorado’s was in 1945. Keep dreaming and working with me, and we’ll get there!

SCSRA SCRAPBOOK: Annual Dinner 2000

Photos by Dale Brown and Ron Baalke


“Little Ranger - Railroad Restores Passenger Service” Part 1 of 5

By Gail Martin, reprinted from the El Dorado Times

This article, originally written in 1995 for the 50th anniversary of The Little Ranger, is reprinted with permission

In the early days of Butler County as far back as the 1870s, every effort was made to have Santa Fe build a railroad to El Dorado from their line that went from Chicago to New Mexico.

This finally happened, but not as a main line, just a branch line from Florence to El Dorado that was finished in July 1877. This provided a solution to the freight problem, but passenger service was still not available until much later. It was two years later that construction of a rail line from the east began on the St. Louis, Fort Scott, and Wichita railroad. Service on the line finally began in the winter of 1882-83, the same year the Missouri Pacific bought this rail line.

It was in the early 1920s when Santa Fe built a wood frame brick veneered depot in downtown El Dorado between Pine and Ash streets on the east side of Gordy that became the Santa Fe bus depot and train station.

During the second World War, when everyone was feeling the pinch from gasoline and tire shortages, Santa Fe stopped the rail service into El Dorado from the north in September 1942.

El Dorado businessmen began an all out effort to woo Santa Fe passenger service back. Important Santa Fe officials from Topeka and even as far away as Chicago were invited to every community-wide function and welcomed with open arms and much fanfare. Rolla Clymer was editor of The El Dorado Times and he was always first with glowing praise for Santa Fe in news stories and editorials. The El Dorado Chamber of Commerce was an equally strong force in planning events to host transportation officials.

On April 27, 1945, Santa Fe announced they would install a gasoline-powered motorcar on a rail route that branched off at Ellinor, a few miles west of Emporia.

That spring of 1945, El Dorado was experiencing many changes. On April 18, Clarence W. Rice, executive with the El Dorado Refining Company, took office as the new mayor. The same newspaper told that the well known war correspondent, Ernie Pyle, had been killed by the Japanese. Ten days later headlines told more bitter news.

“FEWER TIRES FOR BUTLER COUNTY IN MAY.“ Then the joyful news on May 7, “GERMANY SURRENDERS“ followed on the 22nd with these ominous words, “TIGHTER GASOLINE RATION” and on the 30th “MEAT SHORTAGE, FIRST TIME SINCE START OF WAR KANSAS IS SHORT OF MEAT.”

The Transportation of Defense in Washington, DC, on May 22 granted Santa Fe the authority to establish rail service from Emporia to Winfield. Following close on the heels of that publication The Little Ranger began making 13 years of railroad history, thus setting the stage for the jubilant celebration of finally seeing passenger service run through El Dorado twice a day.

El Dorado and Butler County have long been noted for their spectacular celebrations. Some of the greatest affairs through the years were the Kafir Corn Carnivals, oil parades, and the centennial of our town. Another special day in Butler County history occurred almost 50 years ago. Can you remember where you were 50 years ago? Were you one of the crowd in El Dorado to watch the first arrival of The Little Ranger? How the excitement must have escalated as that gathering observed The Little Ranger slowly approaching from the south shortly after noon on Sunday, June 3, 1945.

Jeanette Locke with her small daughter Sandra and friends Vivian Kerns, Katherine and Dorothy Atkisson, Beulah Golden, and June (Locke) Togue were among the lighthearted crowd at the station that could hear its horn as it approached each street crossing while backing up the spur from the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe main line on the south edge of town. With ringing bell, the funny little passenger train, commonly known around Kansas as a “Doodlebug,” backed across Kansas, Carr, Cave Springs, and Olive streets. Then with one last blast of the horn, it crossed the Ash street intersection and with a loud hiss from the air brakes it eased to a stop beside the Santa Fe depot at 204 South Gordy.

This celebration was extra special because of the efforts of many local people to make the new motor train service possible between Emporia and Winfield with El Dorado located in the middle. The estimated crowd of 500 had to wait an hour on this first run for the train to arrive. The Little Ranger hadn’t been able to start until it made connection with the “Ranger” on the main line from Kansas City, and the Ranger was late arriving in Emporia. The inaugural run started on Sunday because of Santa Fe’s practice to start new runs on that day of the week when there was less traffic on the rail line.

The motorcar lived up to the crowd’s expectations that the media had led them to expect. The “Doodlebug” had been entirely redecorated and repaired inside and out, putting it in first-class condition for the new service. A new design was painted on the front just for The Little Ranger’s route.

The 19 passenger seats in a non-smoking area plus 11 more in the smoking section were built with headrests and covered in brown velour just like Santa Fe’s larger streamlined trains. The 10 windows on each side were fitted with Venetian blinds for the latest in comfort. There were three restrooms including one for the smokers, one for the nonsmokers, and one up front for the crew. The “drum head” mounted on the rear platform gate was an exact replica of the line’s transcontinental trains, only with the name of the motorcar, “THE LITTLE RANGER.”

Several Santa Fe officials traveled on the motorcar’s first run, including R.T. Anderson, general passenger agent; Will Rogers, division passenger agent; J.R. Hubbard, head of the public relations department, and Roy Hamilton, staff photographer.

In El Dorado they were joined with L.J. Bond, W.H. Brown, Robert Lasater, president of the local Chamber of Commerce, and Ted Neeley for the ride to Winfield and back. The first trip was a pleasant excursion that included a luncheon hosted by the city of Winfield. The railroad executives stayed overnight in El Dorado for a luncheon Monday noon and celebration dinner that evening before boarding the train on Tuesday evening for the return trip to Emporia and on to their various homes.

A major effort was made to select a catchy and appropriate name for the motorcar. Skelly Refinery Engineer Flint J. Tomkins suggested The Little Ranger, since the motorcar was smaller than The Ranger that was met at both ends of the Doodlebug’s daily run. Santa Fe officials thought it was a great idea and so The Little Ranger was christened.

A gala goodwill dinner at the Hotel El Dorado’s grill room was held on Monday, June 4, 1945, with the cooperation of a great many local people. Both pre-dinner and post-dinner receptions were held so that Santa Fe officials could be greeted by all. Guests were seated at flower-decorated tables and the crowd sang “America” led by William Cloyes followed by the invocation given by Rev. J.W. Boyer, pastor of the Presbyterian Church.

The speaker’s table was slightly raised and hanging overhead was an illuminated sign, “The Little Ranger.” In behind hung a huge American flag and red, white, and blue streamers. A medley was sang by the trio of Misses Georgiana Bennington, Margaret Bartholow, and Janice Nuttle, who also accompanied them. Fried chicken had to be substituted as the main meat dish due to the beef shortage. Santa Fe decorated each place setting with a travel time table, safety match folder with the Santa Fe logo, and small leather luggage tags. More entertainment was presented by the popular quartet of Bill Cloyes, Paul Kirby, Charles Cooke, and Wm. Pool with their rendition of “Flow Gently Sweet Afton,” “I’ve Been Working on the Railroad,” and a solo “The American Prayer” by Wm. Pool.

Times editor Rolla Clymer serving as toast master recognized various groups from the surrounding towns and prominent El Dorado leaders. Santa Fe presented Flint Tompkins with a leather billfold for selecting the name for the motorcar. James B. McKay, a local attorney for Santa Fe, gave the main address to close the momentous evening.

The arrival of the motorcar service generated a good life for El Dorado and the other communities along the rail line. Cattle Ranchers and oil men traveling up and down the line found their business could be managed so much better than when they had been isolated from passenger service. So the grateful people dreamed up the idea to hold a Railroad Appreciation Day to celebrate the first anniversary of The Little Ranger.

To Be Continued Next Issue!


By Gordon Bachlund, Mechanical Superintendent

From the World of Steam — Chris Rippy has continued to make progress lubricating SP 3025, the Museum's big Atlantic. This is the last locomotive in the collection that requires lubrication so that it can be moved, and the work needs to be complete by the time the Train Shed is built since there will probably be a massive relocation of displays at that time. If you'd like to help Chris, please call him at (310) 391-0613.

Battery Servicing - Jim Vicars serviced the caboose batteries in early March and the locomotives' batteries in late March. A mostly thankless job, battery servicing is vital to our railroad operations. Without locomotive batteries, the locomotives cannot start and be operated, nor their radios be used for communication. Without caboose batteries, these cars' lights, radios and refrigerators will not function. When you next visit a "railroad museum" that offers rides in "vintage equipment," check to see if the electrical systems work. In most museums, they do not. In ours, they do, thanks to Jim Vicars. If you would like to learn about railroad electrical equipment and help maintain it, please contact the writer or Jim. You will get a "charge" out of helping!


By Greg Ramsey, Assistant Superintendent, Diesel

The author spent a lot of the first quarter on travel this year, a big part of it in Korea. So there wasn't a lot of diesel work going. At least when I wasn't freezing my body parts, I did get to see a lot of trains go by.

Jim Vicars continued his routine servicing of the batteries of both diesels, and Andy Evans added oil to the air compressor on Charley. Gordon and I performed our routine FRA inspections, but fortunately, Charley continued to soldier away.

On tap for next quarter is the semi-annual oil change on Charley and fuel filter changes for both locomotives.

As always, I can be reached at home (805-984-0332), work (805-982-9720), or via the Internet.


by Gordon Bachlund

Executive Committee - Our new Executive Committee, under the chairmanship of Jerry Price, has met several times during the past quarter and has become a major management asset as it brings the leaders of our various projects and work areas together in a spirit of consensus and partnering. Thanks, Jerry, for your excellent leadership.

Building Update - The last issue advised that a disassembled steel building (with 10-ton overhead crane) had been offered us. Bryan Reese was appointed to coordinate this donation. Despite Bryan's best efforts, the cost of moving the pieces was greater than our cash reserves, and time was of the essence in consummating the deal, thereby obviating a special appeal, so we were obliged to pass it up. We are grateful to the San Bernardino Railroad Historical Society for thinking of us.

Restoration and Progress Exhibit - Over the weekend of March 18/19 the M.177 was displayed on Track 6 coupled into the UP "Little Nugget" where its rear platform provided access to its interior as well as the UP passenger cars and diner. This was part of a special weekend "Restoration & Progress Exhibit." With special signage created by Greg and Nancy Gneier, and with Bryan leading a crew of M.177 docents, the visiting public was afforded a rare opportunity to visit an entire trainset of four cars undergoing simultaneous restoration. It was a wonderful showcase for Bryan's accomplishments, more especially so as the mighty Winton engine roared to life periodically as if to remind us one and all that the car is close to moving under its own power. The weekend event netted $250 in donations for the M.177. We are grateful to Greg and Nancy Gneier for spearheading this wonderful event.


By Tim Riley, Motor Pool Manager

At the end of 1999, I was asked if I would be interested in taking over the motor pool by Dan Price. We have had a lot of serious discussions in regards to the maintenance and operation of the various association vehicles and Dan felt that I would be able to make a positive change in the way that the association's vehicles are maintained. Several weeks later, I approached Gordon Bachlund volunteering to fill the vacant motor pool position. Gordon and I sat down and discussed several ideas that I had developed and I presented him with Long and Short term goals and objectives that I felt would make the long road ahead of me more organized and easier. Gordon gave me a lot of support, as he always does, and I set out to place these ideas into motion.

My main objectives for the motor pool are:

  1. Number the association vehicles in order to keep more accurate records and to have a visual reference to the vehicles condition in regards to both Preventative Maintenance issues and Safety.
  2. Create a simple form that all associates will be required to use to ensure that the vehicles are safe to operate around the public and to act as a reminder to all associates that all fluids and functions of the vehicle are checked before its use, and Repair Order forms to show a visual record of when the vehicles are repaired and by whom (to comply with CFR regulations).
  3. Develop and maintain a Preventative Maintenance schedule for all vehicles to insure longer vehicle life and safer operation for the benefit of both the associates and the public.
  4. Develop a driver qualification program to insure that all associates are fully aware of how to safely inspect and operate all association equipment (similar to Operations training).
  5. Acquire and maintain a small supply of Preventative Maintenance tools and supplies (oil, filters, various lubricants) to have on site for performing preventative maintenance on association vehicles.
  6. Develop a working relationship with the City of Los Angeles in regards to preventative maintenance on city equipment (service schedule, etc.).
  7. Perform any needed repairs in a fast and orderly manner (whenever possible).

In mid January, I started setting my ideas/goals into motion with a lot of assistance from Gordon Bachlund. I started by numbering all association vehicles. Gordon and I discussed the different ways to number a vehicle and we decided on dividing the numbers into three groups. Regular type vehicles (M100's) such as the Dump Truck and the 6X6 Truck, Lift vehicles/Loaders (M200's) such as the Fork Lift and Other vehicles (M300's) such as trailers. We ordered black stick-on labels and as luck proves, the manufacturer sent only part of them. After several orders, all of the labels arrived and at this time, most of the vehicles are now numbered. The next stage in my plan was to make sure that all vehicles had a necessary fire extinguisher. Thanks to Linda Barth, the City of Los Angeles provided 5 brand-new 5 lb. Type ABC Fire Extinguishers in the box with mounting brackets. The extinguishers are now mounted on all regularly used association and city motor pool equipment. Unfortunately, the extinguisher that was mounted on the Skip Loader is now missing due to regular preventative maintenance performed by the City of Los Angeles.

On March 11, 2000, the New Daily Vehicle Inspection Sheets were placed into service along with a new policy regarding placement of the fire extinguisher within 15 feet of trailer M301 (Compressor Trailer) when it is in use (a big thanks to Andy Evans for that great safe idea). I want to thank both Gordon Bachlund and Greg Ramsey for their help in the development of the Vehicle Inspection Sheet. As of now, I am able to keep track of all necessary items on the Motor Pool Equipment. Thanks to all of you who have been faithfully completing these forms on a regular basis.

Jeff Barrow and Dan Price reported that the horn on the Forklift stopped working. I checked for voltage to the horn with help from Andy Evans and found that proper voltage was going to the horn when the button was pressed. I removed the horn from the forklift and checked it with a battery and found that the horn is bad. I'm now in the process of replacing it with another one that works. Darlene Sexton reported that the Skip Loader was having a problem with the rear wheels locking up. When the loader came back from the regular preventative maintenance service, I drove the loader and found that the problem was corrected. I attempted to replace the batteries in the 6X6 truck (M102) this quarter but the replacements, old batteries that I brought from storage at home, did not have enough Cranking Amps to turn the engine over. Thank you to Jim Fontenot for informing me that the minimum Cranking Amp specification for the 6X6 is 1000 and for all of the willingness to help with the necessary repairs that will be required to make it street legal. I will need to purchase two new batteries in the near future if we plan to use this vehicle for upcoming M/W track projects. As far as the dump truck (M101) is concerned, I still need to replace the P.T.O. seal and straighten and hook up all of the hydraulic linkages. A new choke cable must also be installed along with various gauges. With all of these listed items corrected and a full brake and P.M. Inspection, the dump truck should be fully operational. I need to give Brad Slosar my thanks for updating me on the Dump Truck's condition. The Ford Signal Truck was put to rest this quarter. The high cost to make the necessary repairs made keeping it impractical. Thanks to Jim Fontenot for making the necessary contacts to dispose of this vehicle.

I would like to take some time to thank all associates who have given me full positive support that has made my new position easier. If anybody would like to help me with completing Motor Pool tasks in the near future, please feel free to approach me and maybe we will be able to teach each other something new in the process.


by Bryan Reese, Safety Officer

Our first quarterly safety meeting was held on Saturday, April 15, 2000. Attending were Gordon Bachlund, Linda Barth, Alan Weeks, Greg Gneier, and myself. This is the first of such quarterly meeting to be instituted since a recent reexamination of our City permit revealed that we were required to have a designated safety officer, and safety meetings no less than quarterly.

This first meeting had no set agenda. I put out the word that the meeting would be held and was open to all to bring their safety concerns.

If anyone else has any further safety concerns, or would like to be informed of upcoming meetings, please let me know.


By Dan Price, Maintenance of Way Foreman, Track

We are grateful to Doug Stephens for locating a supply of pallets for our use, and to Bryan Reese and Alan Weeks for help with their transportation. We now have sufficient pallets on hand to sort, stack and band M/W materials to pallets which will facilitate moving the materials by forklift.

There has been an unfortunate political perturbation over the Zoo Railroad/Tail Track Project that the President and Board are resolving. We are awaiting final definition of responsibilities and tasks prior to resuming work. Look for breaking news in the next issue.

The signal troops have been busy servicing the crossing protection gate arm mechanisms so that they work reliably for our monthly operations. We are grateful to Jim Fontenot for taking the lead on this effort, and to the City for providing a supply of spare signal lamps. These are 10V 25W single-pin bayonet base lamps that are just not available at OSH or Home Depot!


By James G. Hoffmann, Operations Superintendent

Well, once again I find myself in the situation with my job wherein I am unable to attend operating weekends. My thanks to all the hardworking staff who carry on in my absence.

Now that Nancy's docent program is in "Run 8" and we have plenty of staffing for our operations, I believe it's time to look once again at eliminating the lunch shutdown period. I am preparing new timetable documentation and a proposed shift schedule which I hope to discuss with various Department people in the coming quarter.

We also addressed a problem with our Special Instructions and Rules Tests. Alan Weeks pointed out, rightly so, that there were several instances where the test questions were based on Special Instructions instead of the Rule Book. These conflicts have (hopefully) been eliminated and new tests and answer keys printed. My thanks to Alan and Gordon for much helpful input, and the actual printing of the tests. There were also a few instances where the Special Instructions were either incorrect or outdated. This will be remedied in the next Timetable.

From the Instruction Desk comes word that Tim Riley has been promoted to Conductor.

Our public operations were held January 8th and 9th, February 5th and 6th, and March 4th and 5th.

Saturday, January 8522 $ 167.50
Sunday, January 9536 240.46
Saturday, February 5502 123.14
Sunday, February 6705 491.71
Saturday, March 4 259 56.96
Sunday, March 54 0.00
Total: 2,528 $1,078.77
Total to date:90,990$40,397.98

Operating Days: 143

The March figures bear some explanation. On Saturday, we curtailed operations during the two performances given by the Women In Theater. Attendance was quite good, so this infers that many of our passengers ride more than once. Sunday brought torrential rains! After two "dry runs" with no passengers, and one free ride for the four hardy souls who did brave the elements, the skies OPENED and it became clear that to continue would be foolhardy, so the train was put away.

And now for this quarter's Honor Roll. Those with recorded times included the following:

Docents — Nick Di Massi, Charles Forsher, Nevvo Kechkarian, Shivang Mehta and Annette Sevigny. Once again, thanks to our high school students who are earning Community Service hours. Hope I got your names spelled right!

Operators — Gordon Bachlund, Jeff Barrow, Andy Evans, Mike Flaharty, Nancy Gneier, Charity Lawrence, Dan Price, Greg Ramsey, Yvonne Ramsey, Tim Riley, Chris Rippy, Darlene Sexton, Jim Vicars, Mike Vitale and Alan Weeks.

Thanks to all of you and to anyone whose name I missed!


By Greg Ramsey, Acquisitions Manager

The Crane continues to reside in Hawthorne adjacent to Somerville plywood. The manager called me during March to advise me that the City had advised him that they expected to start redevelopment of the land through which the spur passed. I quickly called BNSF to see when and where we could move the crane. Unfortunately, the BNSF folks I talked to were unaware of any work that would affect the spur.

They promised to investigate, both on the status the spur and on possible other storage locations and get back with me. In the meantime, I made several trips to the crane to service it and ensure it was ready to move. Jim Vicars came on one occasion to help troubleshoot and replace a bad headlight. Joe Barilari also came out and fueled the crane to make sure there were no untimely calls to the autoclub for a gallon or two of gas en route to LA. As of this writing, there is still no work in progress to affect the spur, and BNSF has not advised me that there is any imminent need to move.

Last report I advised we had been offered a steel shop building by the San Bernardino Railway Historical Society. We have decided to decline this.

2000 SCSRA/ASRA Calendar of Events

is published quarterly at Los Angeles, California, and is the official publication of
P.O. Box 39727, Griffith Station, Los Angeles, CA 90039-0727
(323) 667-1423 and via the World Wide Web at

A California Nonprofit Public Benefit Corporation, Incorporated January 4, 1984
IRS Tax Exemption No. 95-3947766

Editor: Sue Kientz

Any article or feature published in The Headlight may be reprinted in whole or in part provided that proper credit is given the source.





Associates with inquiries regarding project work schedules
may contact any of the above by leaving a message at (323) 667-1423.

Questions and comments to Sue Kientz, SCSRA Publications Manager